"Word" words?

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Apr 25 18:03:09 UTC 2008

Speaking of spaghetti, one dialect (or, perhaps, idiolect) difference between my Chicago-born-and-reared wife and me is this: For her, SPAGHETTI is a dish of what she calls "spaghetti noodles" after sauce has been poured over the pasta; for me, SPAGHETTI is the pasta itself, over which sauce might (or might not) be poured. I suppose it's a sign of matrimonial durability that I still--after 38 years of marriage--find her usage annoying!

--Charlie