'word' words

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 28 16:06:41 UTC 2008

At 11:50 AM -0400 4/28/08, Doug Harris wrote:
>Actually, _Collie dog_ is heard far less often than is
>_German Shepherd Dog_, but the latter, actually the breed's
>proper name, is used, I imagine, to distinguish it from, say,
>an _English_ or Australian shepherd dog.

I'd have thought "German Shepherd dog" would be used to distinguish
it from the human variety. In fact, there's a commercial currently
airing (for I forget what) starring Tina Fey as a director who is
delivered the wrong (human) kind of German shepherd for a skit when
the order she had put in was for the canine kind.  The point about
"collie dog" is that there's no possible confusion of a similar sort
(a collie non-dog).

LH