"Word" words?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Apr 28 18:44:20 UTC 2008

Surely "major league soccer" is sufficient.  Isn't it an abbreviation
redundancy, in Arnold's classification, like "ATM machine"?  Unless
one falls prostrate and allows MLS to call their league "Major League
Soccer"!    (Thank heaven I haven't yet heard "major league soccer
soccer."  Even the Eudora spell-checker thinks that's wrong.)

Joel