X to Y: Recency illusion?

Tue Apr 29 13:50:01 UTC 2008

I don't believe Arnold was claiming that "Time was..." is something
new (as his point about clippings was independent of Neal's question
about the recency of the "X to Y" construction). And indeed it's
pretty old -- under sense 55 of "time" OED has a cite from 1874 ("Time
was when we had a national style"), and much earlier exx turn up in a
full-text search. Here are the two earliest (s.v. "spaniel" and
"whimper"):

---
1592 Nobody & Someb. in Simpson Sch. Shaks. (1878) I. 315 Time was,
base spaniell, thou didst fawne as much On me, as now thou strivest to
flatter her.
---
1644 QUARLES Sheph. Oracles VII. (1646) 76 Time was, Adelphus, that my
wants would whine And whimper in poore rags as well as thine.
---

--Ben Zimmer