Heard on The Judges: Asian proverb

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Apr 29 14:12:32 UTC 2008

Proverbs and aphorisms exist in several languages that remark on how lending turns a friend into a foe. In English: "When I lent, I was a friend; when I asked [for repayment], I was unkind. So of my friend I made a foe; therefore, I will no more do so."  "Lend your money and lose your friend."  "If you would make an enemy, lend a man money, and ask it of him again."

The version uttered by Polonious in _Hamlet_ is "Neither a borrower nor a lender be / For loan oft loses both itself and friend."

Wilson, I notice that the speaker you quote didn't specifically identify the "old saying" as an ASIAN. Her version is rather neatly turned!

--Charlie