More pronunciation change

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 29 14:35:09 UTC 2008

[pIkSr]

isn't nearly as old, in my experience, as

[pItSr]

for _picture_, but it's been around a long time. Today, for the first
time, I heard _ sanctuary_ pronounced as

[sEiNkSuEri]

by the voice-over guy for an ad.

("Sanc-" as [sEiNk] is just a WAG. I'm not enough of a phonetician to
be certain.)

I've heard "sankshuary" on the street since the beginning of time,
too, but voice-over people were once supposed to be pros in the use of
prescriptive sE.

-Wilson
-----
 -Sam'l Clemens