Kia Motors America

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Apr 29 15:43:30 UTC 2008

At 10:51 PM +0800 4/29/08, LanDi Liu wrote:
>  >From their site:
>
>The word "Kia" is derived from the Chinese characters "ki", meaning to
>"arise or come up out of", and "a", referring to Asia.  So when put
>together, "Kia" means to "arise or come up out of Asia".
>
>Shit.  Another noun verbed.  I hate when people noun verbs.  On second
>thought it looks like a verb nouned.  Are there other cars with verbs
>as names?
>
>["ki" is not pinyin, so I'm guessing by the meaning that "qi3" (ãN) and
>"ya4" (-«) are the characters being referred to.]
>
>Randy

Despite the fact that your characters came
through beautifully, your derivation is mistaken.
"Kia" obviously comes from the Swahili, where it
is a homonym whose two different values are both
relevant.  Nominal "kia" is a lid for covering a
cooking-pot, which the shape of the car clearly
resembles, but there's also an influence from the
unrelated verb "kia", which means 'to step over
(as of a log, etc.)', which alludes to the
compact size of the vehicle.  It's important to
bear in mind that "Kia" is a Class 7-8
[ki/vi-class] noun, and as such its plural is
properly "Via", good to know if Paul is
considering buying more than one.

LH