Defending the language with bullets: If you can read this in English, thank a soldier

Dennis Baron debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Fri Aug 1 04:19:23 UTC 2008

There's a new post on the Web of Language:

Defending the language with bullets: If you can read this in English,
thank a soldier

The bumper sticker on the back of a construction worker’s pickup truck
caught my eye: “If you can read this, thank a teacher . . . .”

This homage to education wasn’t what I expected from someone whose
bitterness typically manifests itself in vehicle art celebrating guns
and religion, but there was more: “If you can read this in English,
thank a soldier.”

And there it was: a “support our troops” bumper sticker that takes
language and literacy out of the classroom and puts them squarely in
the hands of the military.

It’s one thing to say that we owe our national security and the
survival of the free world to military might. It’s something else
again to be told that we need soldiers to protect the English language

But according to this bumper sticker, any chink in our armor, any
relaxation of our constant vigilance, any momentary lowering of the
gun barrel, and we’ll all be speaking Russian, Iraqi, or even Mexican.

..

find out what else is wrong with the suggestion, read the whole post
on the Web of Language
____________________
Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics