You say sommelier, I say barista

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 1 15:58:15 UTC 2008

At 11:05 PM -0400 7/20/08, Doug Harris wrote:
>And 'server' is so much simpler still.
>
>(Many a 'server' has provided me credible coffee at a fraction
>the price of Starbucks' simplest (and truly no better) offering.
>I never encountered a 'barista' before Starbucks, and don't like
>patronizing them because of the patronizing (we-know-better-than-
>you-about-coffee) attitude that is Starbucks whole schtick.)
>dh
>

>>The word sommelier, of course, now refers not just to wine, but
>>espresso (and perhaps other things as well).
>
>So "barista" is out?  It's much easier to pronounce.
>
>Joel

Here's a commentary on this debate from my daughter, who spent a
summer two years ago working as a barista for the New Haven franchise
of Au Bon Pain (that's a chain that competes with Starbucks at least
in the Northeast and was just introducing their own line of
espresso-based drinks at the time):

===============
Of course I didn't think of myself as patronizing. The former
Starbucks executive who trained us, on the other hand, epitomized
that we-know-better-than-you-about-coffee attitude. She told us to
look up and follow the instructions for whatever we were making Every
Single Time, even if it was just a latte.

But I think the customers want a little patronization when they go to
Starbucks: they're paying $4 for a fancy cup of coffee because they
want to get it from somewhere which
knows-better-than-dunkin-donuts-about-coffee. And they really do make
better, stronger coffee than dunkin donuts, or Au Bon Pain, IMHO. But
coffee is one of those things that I'm sure depends on image more
than objective quality. I'm probably just be duped, but if it tastes
better, it tastes better.

Anyway, baristas aren't just at Starbucks, and it's definitely not on
the way out. Just look at  craigslist- they they all want experienced
"baristas" (while the "sommelier" hits are all for wine). Some of the
ads say "barista/server" but they need the barista because just
"server" doesn't say anything about what is being served. You can't
say "coffee server," because it's more about the espresso drinks, but
why say "espresso drink server" when you can say "barista"? Besides,
it's not just about serving, that makes them sound like waiters, they
*create* the drinks. But I guess "server" could include that, if you
are talking about serving the *customer*, instead of serving the
drinks.

Well all this talk is making me glad I am not a barista anymore, and
has nearly convinced me to stop at Starbucks on the way home.