You say sommelier, I say barista

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Aug 1 18:31:58 UTC 2008

Ron's message greatly reassured me; I was afraid I'd been victimized (once again) by my white-trashy lack of taste!

I too find Dunkin' Donuts coffee superior to Starbucks coffee--and (of course) considerably less exorbitant.

And here may be the "American language" connection that Ron was searching for: Now that Baskin Robbins is frequently "bundled" with Dunkin' Donuts, one can accompany a cup of the good coffee with a DONUT A LA MODE!  The phrase "donut a la mode" gets only 8 Google hits, "donut ala mode" 5, "doughnut a la mode" 4, and "doughnut ala mode" 1.

--Charlie