Whenever I hear a good example (who/whoever)

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at BYU.EDU
Mon Aug 4 12:54:18 UTC 2008

Could this be related to who / whoever ? When I moved to Utah five years ago, I was struck by sentences like the following:

"I can help who's next"

(said, for example, by a worker at fast food restaurant, as a number of people are waiting in line).

I'd use "I can help whoever's next".

I know this use of "who" wasn't here in Utah back in the 1970s-1980s, but it seems to be the norm now.

Mark D.

Mark Davies
Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906
Web: davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **