heterogram, not in OED

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 5 17:50:25 UTC 2008

I found this term in, I think, Windfuhr's _Persian Grammar_ (Mouton, 1979,
ISBN 90 279 7774 2), and couldn't find it in OED. ~1600 raw googits, no help
on the first page of them, which mostly define it as a word in which no
letter occurs more than once. Adding "Persian" to the search brought up
this:

http://www.iranica.com/newsite/articles/unicode/v12f6/v12f6039.html

A particular type of ideogram or logogram commonly found in the cuneiform
scripts of the ancient Near East is that which is sometimes referred to as a
"heterogram" (from Greek heteros "other"). The term refers to a graph
borrowed from another language (in which it may have been either ideographic
or phonetic), ...

(Text trimmed and quotes ASCIIfied in hopes of not breaking the ADS
server...)

--
Mark Mandel