Hugo Award to Jeff Prucher

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 10 20:39:27 UTC 2008

You damn the award with faint praise, Grant. The Hugo, named for Hugo
Gernsbach, the father (of the modern, American school) of
science-fiction, is the Oscar of SF, not merely a "prize."

I'm *very* impressed, even though he left out one of my own favorite quotes:

"[A sergeant] is the one who tells the telling to the ones who do the doing."

-Eric Frank Russell
And Then There Were None; Astounding SF cover-story, June 1951

-Wilson

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Grant Barrett
<gbarrett at worldnewyork.org> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Grant Barrett <gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG>
> Subject:      Hugo Award to Jeff Prucher
>
> Congratulations to Jeff Prucher, whose "Brave New Words: The Oxford
> Dictionary of Science Fiction" won a Hugo Award, a prize given in the
> field of science fiction.
>
> http://www.thehugoawards.org/?p=146
>
> Grant Barrett
> gbarrett at worldnewyork.org