all booze and no clothes

Mon Aug 11 12:33:17 UTC 2008

Received this query. Anyone else heard of "all booze and no clothes"?
It gets zero hits on Google and elsewhere.

-----
I first remember my grandmother using the phrase, "Here goes, all
booze and no clothes," as she put a cake in the oven in the early
1960s. That was the incantation she would use with hopes that the cake
would not fall. She had an apron with that saying on it, along with a
cartoon of a hillbilly wearing only a barrel and a hat with buckshot
holes in it, and carrying a jug of moonshine. My father used to
contend that the phrase became popular during the roaring 20s in
Beverly Hills, alluding to the instances when Zelda and F. Scott
Fitgerald would get "3 sheets to the wind," strip, and go play in the
fountain in front of the Beverly Hills Hotel. Has anybody run across
any other history on this phrase?
-----

--Ben Zimmer