What The Hail???

Marc Velasco marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 12 05:01:24 UTC 2008

In all my experience with Midwest thunderstorms, _coin_-sized hail was
perhaps the most common denomination of hail, with dime-sized hail being
particularly popular with the clouds and the cloud-trackers.

Common terms: pea-, dime-, golfball-, and baseball-sized hail; although, it
needs be said that baseball-sized hail was rarely reported live, but common
in "big storm" stories.  Lawyers might further say that this list includes,
but is not limited to, the above mentioned terms.

Perhaps the dime-, nickel-, quarter- usages are due to lack of common
spherical objects near those sizes.