Draft of Checklist of Electronic Resources (Version 5)

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 12 11:31:53 UTC 2008

acceptlanguage: en-US

Bill,

Thanks for this extremely helpful information.  Note that I did not list the ProQuest African-American newspapers individually, but meant to encompass them all with the listing "Black Newspaper Collection."

Does Ancestry.com have anything not also in Newspaperarchive?

I did intend to encompass all of ProQuest's databases with only a few decades of retrospective coverage under the heading "ProQuest Newss and Magazines."

Obviously it is a judgment call whether state newspaper projects or individual newspapers or individual college newspapers are major enough to be included on my list.  Have any of the state newspaper projects reached the point where they have a lot of useful searchable text?  For the college newspapers, the Harvard Crimson is the only one that I have found to be at all productive in finding antedatings.  Has anyone else found any of the others to be that useful?

Has anyone found the Mad Magazine or Rolling Stone archives to be useful in finding antedatings?

I recall that Sporting News is digitized somewhere.  Where is that?  Paperofrecord?

Fred