"barbecue pit"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 13 06:03:12 UTC 2008

I didn't know that there was a Saint Louis style of barbecuing till I
after I had moved away from there to the Northeast. When I lived in
Saint Louis, all references were simply to "barbecue," no doubt
because, in Saint Louis, the Saint Louis style is necessarily the
default case.

-Wilson

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Doug Harris <cats22 at frontiernet.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Doug Harris <cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET>
> Subject:      Re: "barbecue pit"
>
> And it could be said, somewhat metaphorically, that NE-defined
> barbeque _is_ the pits compared to the southern or St Louis style.
> dh
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
>> Subject:      Re: "barbecue pit"
> -----
>>
>> Isn't the issue here related to a dialect matter that we have discussed
> within the past year or two?  In the South and Southwest (principally) the
> VERB "barbecue" means 'cook large pieces of meat slowly--for several
> hours--over coals in a pit or in a brick structure above the ground'. In the
> North (principally) "barbecue" means 'cook hamburgers or wieners for a few
> minutes on a portable metal charcoal or gas griller', which could be
> metaphorically called a "pit" in deference to the TRUE meaning of
> "barbecue."
>>
>> --Charlie

-----
-Mark Twain