"bot herder"

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 14 20:48:14 UTC 2008

I don't think "farm" is helpful there; it's an overextension of the
metaphor in "herder". Even in the (currently rare) sense you're using,
it implies that the bot herder is either
 1. providing a service to someone else for payment, or
 2. paying the owners of the computers for his use of them.

Against (1), he may be doing it for his own vandalistic or profitable
pursuits (e.g., advertising his own site). Against (2), he's a
parasite, not a symbiont.

m a m