NS > NTS (was: Re: "war" [wor])

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 15 11:09:24 UTC 2008

> That reminds me: in the not-too-distance past, TZ argued that there is
>> no "t" sound in words like "since" and "prince."

Actually I would hold the opposite is the norm.  Prince ~prints, since ~sints, pronounce ~proennounts or ~prunnounts.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.

> Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:35:27 +0800
> From: strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
> Subject: Re: NS> NTS (was: Re: "war" [wor])
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: LanDi Liu
> Subject: Re: NS> NTS (was: Re: "war" [wor])
>
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Benjamin Barrett  wrote:
>> That reminds me: in the not-too-distance past, TZ argued that there is
>> no "t" sound in words like "since" and "prince."
>>
>> My first phonetics professor held that there is a prestige dialect
>> that maintains the "ns" pronunciation, thus differentiating "prince"
>> from "prints" (a pursuit that TZ should be greatly interested in). I
>> recently found a great example, pronounced by the Netherlander pop
>> singer Roel van Velzen in "When Summer Ends." The song video can be
>> seen (and heard) at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWkBMbhAYPM. It
>> starts right off with his t-less pronunciation of "since".
>>
> It seems that the [t] or no [t] in since depends on when you stop the
> vocalization. If you say something like [sɪnzs] then there is
> definitely no [t]. It also may have to do with how dry your tongue is
> at the moment. It seems that I can say [sɪns] with a drier tongue,
> but if it is wetter, then it comes out [sɪnts].
>
> --
> Randy Alexander
> Jilin City, China
> My Manchu studies blog:
> http://www.bjshengr.com/manchu

Get ideas on sharing photos from people like you.  Find new ways to share.
http://www.windowslive.com/explore/photogallery/posts?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Photo_Gallery_082008