Problems with messages

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 15 15:56:02 UTC 2008

I've been having the same problem, Barbara. Some people are probably
accidentally using rich formatting, which the UGA server doesn't
handle well, as I understand it. As a Mac user myself and also someone
who once had to be gently chided for *causing* the problem - sure
enough, I had Gmail set to "rich formatting" - I can tell you that the
problem is not on your end.

-Wilson

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Barbara Need <bhneed at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Barbara Need <bhneed at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Problems with messages
>
> I am now getting messages from more and more people that look like
> the following:
>
> Yeah... Anything like that. Thanks!=0A=0A=0A=0A----- Original Message
> ----=
> =0AFrom: Marc Velasco <marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM>=0ATo: ADS-
> L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=
> =0ASent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:33:31 AM=0ASubject: Re:
> Political lab=
> els=0A=0A---------------------- Information from the mail header
> ----------=
> -------------=0ASender:=A0 =A0 =A0 American Dialect Society <ADS-
> L at LISTSERV=
> .UGA.EDU>=0APoster:=A0 =A0 =A0 Marc Velasco
> <marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM>=0ASubj=
> ect:=A0 =A0 =A0 Re: Political
>
> I contacted one person directly, because I didn't want to take up
> your bandwidth, but this is getting more widespread. I don't know if
> it is due to changes in my mail provider (from a university to gmail--
> both read on my computer using Mac Mail) or it is an issue on the
> senders' ends.
>
> Barbara
>
> Barbara Need

-----