"barbecue pit" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Aug 15 16:44:19 UTC 2008

If y'all can stomach one more note on the subject:  My Northern inlaws commonly say something like, "I'll just throw some burgers on the barbecue"--using "barbecue" to designate the portable grilling device. Perhaps "barbecue" in that sense represents a clipping of (northern) "barbecue pit"--the kind that may be wielded as a weapon?  Or just a metonomy in its own right.

BTW: I believe that in the South, "hamburger" is seldom clipped to "burger" (though national restaurant chains are probably altering that situation). Also, in the Southern dialects that I'm fluent in, the seared fleshly disk inserted into a bun (with mayonaise, lettuce, etc.) to constitute a hamburger would never itself be called a "hamburger" (much less a "burger").  Sort of like "hotdog" being the entire sandwich, not just the wiener.

--Charlie