Age and gender confusion at the Olympics

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Aug 15 23:35:27 UTC 2008

A Boston Globe story today on the "issue" of the age of some Chinese
women gymnasts has the following in a mid-article paragraph:

"If the age reported by Xinhua was correct, that would have meant He
was too young to be on the Chinese team that beat the United States
Wednesday and clinched China's first women's team Olympic gold in
gymnastics.  He is also a favorite for gold in Monday's uneven bars final."

The second sentence above fazed me for a few seconds -- I had to
re-read and mentally re-pronounce it.

Joel