Shaking his head "yes" (heard on the Olympics)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sun Aug 17 14:16:29 UTC 2008

Many years ago I first heard (from native English speakers) the construction "shake his head 'yes'"--which seemed truly odd and inefficient, since the "nod"/"shake" distinction is so clear (to me).

I discover from Googling that the construction is mentoned in the Morrises' _Harper Dictionary of Contemporary Usage_ (1985).

The different customs for gesturing "yes" and "no" are a whole nother matter . . . .

--Charlie