Pronouncing names; was Re: "Business takes Vi[z]a"

Barbara Need bhneed at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 17 20:33:44 UTC 2008

I certainly know an Aleesha (spelled Alicia). I have realized,
however, that I wouldn't know how to pronounce it unless the person
with that name told me! A-li-si-a sounds foreign to me. (I.e., not
English.)

My sister (Laura) once complained that people on the Boston North
Shore could not pronounce her name properly. When I checked, she said
I did it right, and  I say Lora (or something like that. I don't know
what the pronunciation is that she objected to.

Barbara

Barbara Need
Chicago