Munincipality

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 18 02:38:45 UTC 2008

FWIW, I used to use "munincipality" and "munincipal" back in the
'Forties. I agree that this is an idiolect phenomenon. I don't recall
that other people used it, only thinking that other people also it,
until other people pointed out to me that only I used it. At that
point, I suddenly could tell that other were using "municipal(ity)."
Weird sensation!

-Wilson

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
> Subject:      Munincipality
>
> Google claims 1450 hits for this, though going to the end reveals only
> 230. I wonder how common it is in speech, however. I have only
> recently learned to say "municipality". AFAIK this is an idiolectical
> item. BB

-----
-Mark Twain