Pronouncing names; was Re: "Business takes Vi[z]a"

Marc Velasco marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 18 17:16:47 UTC 2008

I can attest to this.  Someone from New York, purportedly named Lara
(possibly Laura), was not pronounced as Lara, Lora, Laura, Laira (nasally,
like lair...), or any other possible pronunciation I could come up with at
the time.  I don't even think I could hear the difference of what she was
talking and complaining about.  Slight chance this has something to do with
certain people being unable to learn and distinguish new sounds after
childhood.