OED SF database (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 19 16:13:47 UTC 2008

At 10:01 AM -0500 8/19/08, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
>Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
>Caveats: NONE
>

>>   But there are two butterflies in this garden,
>>  both effecting great changes from tiny causes.
>>
>>  One is [Bradbury's] butterfly, whose death in the Jurassic (?)
>>  era tips a close election in our time, a change invisible to
>>  all but the time travelers who left Present[0] and returned
>>  to Present[1].
>>
>>  I don't know who gets credit for the other butterfly, which
>>  is associated with chaos theory. (Terry Pratchett used it,
>>  but didn't come up with it.) This one flaps its wing, & the
>>  tiny air movement eventually causes a hurricane half a world away.
>
>I wish I had seen this paper by Robert Hilborn yesterday:
>http://phys.csuchico.edu/ayars/427/handouts/AJP000425.pdf
>
>It describes how the term came about.

For those interested, the Bradbury story itself can be read at
http://www.lasalle.edu/~didio/courses/hon462/hon462_assets/sound_of_thunder.htm
It's quite short (2+ pages), and pretty interesting.

ObADS:  the inadvertent destruction of the butterfly in the dinosaur
age affects not only the election noted above but also English
orthography (in the direction of Truspel, IIRC) while leaving the
spoken language unaffected, and the world is now a much more
miserable place.

LH