"rain harvesting"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Aug 22 11:47:03 UTC 2008

No rain has fallen in Georgia since back about the time Noah disembarked. Bans on outdoor watering prevail, and any patch of green turf provokes public suspicion, if not anger.  Such a green patch exists on the University of Georgia campus.  To forfend hostile reactions, a sign is posted explaining that the verdure is attributable to an experimental system of "rain harvesting."  That term is new to me (it gets some recent Google hits, though most of the 40,000+ for the combination of words are irrelevant--with a phrase boundary between the words).  I think we used to call the technology "cisterns."

--Charlie