"Stars and Bars"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 22 15:23:46 UTC 2008

Anybody who's heard of the thing they call the "Civil War" ought to know the meaning of thye "Stars and Bars" .

But not somebody at the Fox News Channel, which reported via TelePrompter on a "controversial" ad that "superimposes Obama's face over the Stars and Bars."  Now that would be controversial, but when they showed the picture, Megyn Kelly, whose braininess is certified by a law degree which is touted each and every day, was sharp enough to demand, "Hey, shouldn't that be the 'Stars and Stripes'?!"

Indeed it should, but this isn't the first time that the Fox 'Prompters have used "Stars and Bars" as a cool synonym.  There's even an online joint that sells a "Patriotic bumper sticker combining the stars and bars of Old Glory with a heartfelt prayer for God's blessing on America."

"Stripes," "bars" - they're pretty much the same.  I mean, when you get right down to it.

And if it don't _rhyme_, I ain't got the _time_.

JL