"lobster back", dates from 1812

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Aug 23 02:11:44 UTC 2008

My tertiary source failed me: his quotation from a secondary source
turns out to be the secondary source's own words from 1964.  So I do
not have a pre-Revolutionary (would have been c1745) "lobster back".

But since the OED does not have any lobster-backs, I'll point to the
following, which discusses the very question:  when did
"lobster-back" appear?  It finds the earliest in 1812, via America's
Historical Newspapers:

http://boston1775.blogspot.com/2007/11/british-soldiers-werent-called.html
(dated Nov. 5, 2007)

Joel