indice

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 23 17:51:30 UTC 2008

At 8:15 AM -0700 8/23/08, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>On Aug 22, 2008, at 6:05 PM, Herb Stahlke wrote:
>
>>Jacques Berlinerblau, in his On Faith column on today's Washington
>>Post web site, writes, "Yet as an indice of some of the lines of
>>attack that the McCain camp is employing it is of great interest."...
>
>Bill Walsh blog on the word:
>   http://theslot.blogspot.com/2006/03/ice-ice-baby.html
>
>(Walsh lists "tamale" as a similar example, and also notes the
>spelling "lense" for "lens".)
>
>googling on {"an indice"} gets a fair number of examples, from
>mathematics, social science, and various other domains.

Nice discussion on similar back-formed singulars on the blog,
although it gets mingled with other cases of interlingual opacity and
redundancy.  I was wondering if someone would mention "the American
Taliban" from a couple of years ago, and toward the bottom someone
did.  For the back-formed singular of "parentheses", though, I prefer
"parenthesee".

LH