"to kill people and break things" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Aug 25 21:54:42 UTC 2008

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

>From Newsbank:
"Writer who's also Reservist ready to serve if summoned"
The Tampa Tribune - February 10, 1991 p. 19
Author: LANCE VAN AUKEN, Tribune Staff Writer
"The purpose of an Army in peacetime is to maintain the peace. In war,
its purpose is to kill people and break things."

>From Google Books:
"Energy and Water Development Appropriations for 1981: Hearings Before a
Subcommittee of the Committee on Appropriations, House of
Representatives, Ninety-sixth Congress, Second Session "  Gov Printing
Office 1980

[Testimony]
"Mr. SEWELL.  Any [deleted] explosion is going to create [deleted] of
damage and knock down buildings and kill people and break things out to
a given range."