Michelle Obama's anticipatory retroflexion

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 26 17:50:52 UTC 2008

When she said "scrimp," for a split-second, I thought that she'd said
"shrimp." But, seriously, folks, I didn't notice much peculiar in her
speech patterns. I heard the phenomenon described, now that it has
been called to my attention - I YouTubed it. However, I don't find it
worthy of discussion.

But, as The Philosopher has noted:

"Diffunt strokes for diffunt folks."

-Wilson

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 11:46 PM, Herb Stahlke <hfwstahlke at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Herb Stahlke <hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Michelle Obama's anticipatory retroflexion
>
> I noticed stronger and more consistent anticipatory retroflex
> assimilation in Michelle Obama's speech tonight that I've heard
> anywhere before.  All cases I noticed of initial /str/ clusters
> retroflexed the /s/.  In at least one case I heard "was strengthened"
> with retroflexion extending to the lenis alveolar fricative of "was."
> Perseverative retroflexion is common:  Ladefoged gives the example of
> "hardened" in which the /dnd/ is all retroflexed.  But anticipatory
> retroflexion isn't so wide-spread.  Does anyone know the dialect
> distribution of this feature?
>
> Herb

-----
-Mark Twain