Chinglish

Matthew Gordon gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU
Thu Aug 28 13:59:18 UTC 2008

You can't ever take variability out of the equation. Each human vocal tract
is unique. Your [i] will have different acoustic characteristics from mine
due simply to the fact that they're played on different instruments. In
fact, there is intraspeaker variation too; each time you pronounce an [i] it
will differ acoustically from the last time you pronounced one.