Chinglish

Scot LaFaive slafaive at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 29 02:38:23 UTC 2008

>I'd call it an allophone of "g" in "singing".

Tom, I'm not sure anyone would call it that. Regardless, you are missing the
big point here: for most people, words like "sing" and "finger" have no [g]
sound. It isn't [s]+[I]+[n]+[g].....it's [s]+[I]+[ng]. There is a big
difference between the [g] and [ng] sounds. Please refer to any respectable
book on phonology for more information.

>I personally have two "g" s for "singing". I gues you have none.  Must
sound like sinnin'.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce "singing" with two [g]
sounds; I usually hear two [ng] sounds.

>I once make a list of words where the "g" is supposed to be silent.  Words
like finger, singer, linger, dinger.

I've also never heard these pronounced without the [ng] sound.

Scot