Tie that bull outside.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 29 14:57:30 UTC 2008

HDAS 1 has the derisive retort, "Tie that bull outside!" from 1921. These earlier exx. are from NewspaperArchive.com.

A search turns up some slightly earlier 1909 hits, but they seem not to be findable in the
source indicated.

1909 Modesto [Calif.] Morning Herald (Nov. 18) 1: Tie That Bull Outside.   1910 Lowell (Mass.) Sun (Night ed.) (Mar. 11): The doubting Thomases at the police station told Phil to “tie the bull outside.” “You can’t josh us,” said a wise copper.

Don't blame me if this message comes through in strangely alternating fonts. I've tried to correct them but can't.

JL