Chinglish

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 29 15:38:21 UTC 2008

Tom,

I think you're identifying sounds with letters rather than with
phonetic symbols.  The coda of "sing," whatever its vowel, is not
/ng/.  It's /N/, the velar nasal.  It has been /N/ since before Old
English.  Historically what's happened is roughly the following.

1.  In OE, "sing" would have been pronounce with the /Ng/ sequence
found in the middle of "linger," but by some time in Middle English
that final /g/ disappeared.

2  If a derivational suffix -er is added to a verb root, as in
"singer" /sINR/, with no /g/ pronounced.  If an inflectional suffix
-er is added to an adjective, as in "longer" /lONgR/, there is a
stem-final /g/.

3. If a final -er is part of the stem and not a suffix, as in "finger"
/fINgR/, the phonetic /g/ also remains.

So syllable-final /g/ after /N/ disappeared in word-final position and
in root final position but not in stem-final or morpheme-medial
position.  If the /g/ deletes after /N/, you don't get /n/; you get
/N/.

Herb