Chinglish

Fri Aug 29 17:40:20 UTC 2008

I can't believe TZ has done it again. This is trollish behavior to get
people who really agree with each other to disagree by distorting and
taking out of context.

From
-----
A classic troll tries to make us believe that he is a skeptic. He is
divisive and argumentative with need-to-be-right attitude, "searching
for the truth", flaming discussion, and sometimes insulting people or
provoking people to insult him. A troll is usually an expert in
reusing the same words of its opponents and in turning it against them.

He (and in at least 90% of cases it is he) tries to start arguments
and upset people.

Sometimes, he is skeptical, trying to scare people, trying to plant
fear in their hearts. Sometimes, Internet troll is trying to spin
conflicting information, is questioning in an insincere manner,
flaming discussion, insulting people, turning people against each
other, harassing forum members, ignoring warnings from forum moderators.

Trolling is a form of harassment that can take over a discussion. Well
meaning defenders can create chaos by responding to trolls.
-----
This page also has a short bit about the subcategory of sophist trolls.

In this case, everyone agrees that the alphabetic principle is an
approximation of sounds put into practice more successfully in some
languages like Spanish and less in others like English.

RB was discussing TZ's sophist troll arguments about how English
speakers are "refusing" to use the correct pronunciations of words, ad
naseum. He wasn't claiming that we don't use letters as a means to
unify the representations of sounds.

What the guides to trolls on the Net agree on is that ignoring trolls
is the best way of dealing with them. BB