"Can / May I ask you a question?"

Doug Harris cats22 at STNY.RR.COM
Mon Dec 1 20:22:05 UTC 2008

I sometimes need to do telemarketing -- cold-calling prospects in an attempt to get an appointment. I've done this for various companies. One had a trainer who strongly encouraged using a 'how are you' type question when a prospect first got on the phone. I disagreed with that concept, in part because the caller would know that I know they know I'm not truly concerned with how they are; and anyway, seconds spent on such pointless exchanges of not-even-pleasant comments would be time needlessly taken from the prospect's busy day, and _that_ would be good for the prospect or for me.
Unless I'm mistaken, the French do conversation-initiation so much nicer in most instances, with a simple 'bon jour'.
dh

12/1/2008 12:55:55 PM
Subject: Re: "Can / May I ask you a question?"