"the listening-to of Christmas music"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 1 21:32:48 UTC 2008

In my youth in the 'Forties and 'Fifties, people used to pompously
intone strings like "the listening-to of Christmas music" for laughs.
They sounded really hilariously wrong. Nowadays, people use such
constructions so often that I'm beginning to wonder whether anyone
younger than thirty finds anything unusual about them. Certainly, such
strings are easily  generated and easily understood.

-Wilson

-----
-Mark Twain