"Can / May I ask you a question?"

Tue Dec 2 05:24:02 UTC 2008

The other possibility, and the one that seems most reasonable in the
case of asking a librarian, is that the speaker is not sure if the
librarian's duties at the moment allow the answering of something that
requires thought. That is,

Patron. Can I ask you a question?
Librarian. Yes. (Requires no thought.)
Patron. Do you know where I can find information on simian habitats?
Librarian. Let me move over to my computer and see if I can help you.
(Requires a great deal of effort.) BB