more back-formed shopping

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Wed Dec 3 15:31:15 UTC 2008

back on 28 November i reported on the two-part back-formed verb
"holiday-shop".  there are, of course, more X-shop verbs.  some where
X is an occasion, some where X is the object of the shopping, some
where X is the person for whom one shops.

type (2) is quite productive.  the many examples i give below are only
a sample of what's out there.

(1) CHRISTMAS-SHOP

   How to Christmas Shop for Kids: Great Gift Ideas for Children and ...
kidsproducts.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_christmas_shop_for_kids

   Do you plan to Christmas shop early Friday morning?
www.irontontribune.com/polls/2008/nov/shop/

   Her Royal Highness and Little Sister Princess Margaret Rose
Christmas-shopped eagerly in "a sixpenny store somewhere in
Scotland." ...
www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,762110-2,00.html

   Speaking of Paris ... another site's reporting she's on her way to
Miami but we' re with her now as she Christmas shops in LA ...
x17online.com/celebrities/britney_spears/britneys_man_idd.php

BIRTHDAY-SHOP

   Off to birthday shop, a bit. She won't be getting the only things
she's written down on a list so far, ...
ninjapoodles.blogspot.com/2007/10/two-down-one-to-go-plus-halloween.html

   Ever have to birthday shop for that one person who never tells you
what they want, or is just plain hard to please?
www.maggieboriginalsblog.com/category/gift-baskets/birthday/

   Sister Britney was spotted leaving Ed Hardy where she birthday
shopped with [sic] Jamie-Lynn with their Mom.
www.celebritybabyscoop.com/2008/04/04/happy-birthday-jamie-lynn/

   Britney Spears Birthday Shops for Sis Jamie Lynn. April 12th,
2008 ... She also picked up a few things for her brother and father.
newpaparazzi.com/2008/04/12/britney-spears-birthday-shops-for-sis-
jamie- lynn/

WEDDING-SHOP

   That leaves 1 or 2 days to wedding shop and arrange consultations.
www.atlanticcityweddings.com/advertising.htm

   In the last nine days, I traveled 3316 miles, did a session at the
San Diego temple, wedding shopped, ate an 18 dollar tomato, ...
thedecorias.blogspot.com/2008_12_01_archive.html

(2) CLOTHING-SHOP

   Great place to clothing shop for your kids.
talk.ocalamom.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6641046686/m/1881016397

   I haven't really clothing shopped for myself in almost a year.
specktra.net/1222930-post82.html

SHOE-SHOP

   How to Shoe Shop With Your Wife. If you are a man and you've ever
been "stuck" in shopping with your wife for shoes, ...
www.ehow.com/how_2112588_shoe-shop-wife.html

   I could have shoe shopped in NYC. harrumph.
justagirlintheworld.com/the-stress-continues/

FURNITURE-SHOP

   It's fun to furniture shop. You can do it in person, or online.
www.ehow.com/articles_2449-other-furniture.html

   I furniture shopped everywhere, and a friend ended up telling me
about this place.
www.yelp.com/browse/reviews/recent?loc=Seattle%2C+WA&category=furniture

COMPUTER-SHOP

   What better place to computer shop than at Dell.com.
blogs.smarter.com/gadgets/2008/06/02/computer-shopping-200-off-
inspiron-desktops-over-749/

   I've never really computer shopped before.
https://www.beethoven.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2842

TOOL-SHOP

   How to Tool Shop on a Budget.
www.ehow.com/how_2104035_tool-shop-budget.html

   I tool shopped at HF they do have some good tools you just have to
be selective ...
www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?p=40274

CAR-SHOP

   Bizarro Brit -- Wears Wedding Dress to Car Shop!
www.tmz.com/2008/01/13/bizarro-brit-wears-wedding-dress-to-car-shop/

   The last time I car-shopped (shudder) I was amazed and discouraged
by the ...
mrmonkeysuit.typepad.com/mr_monkeysuit/2008/08/felt-peas-tutorial.html

FOOD-SHOP

   City Tells Its Firefighters Not to Food-Shop on Duty.
query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?
res=9905E1DC1731F936A25755C0A9679C8B63

   Ask anyone who has food shopped lately, food prices are not going
down.
community.kget.com/blogs/kiyoshi_tomono/archive/2007/09/19/1983728.aspx

GROCERY-SHOP

   Learning to grocery shop wisely can save thousands of dollars over
the years, and free up considerable money & time each month.
www.bluntmoney.com/how-to-grocery-shop-wisely/

   Among only those who grocery shopped, men spent 40 minutes and
women ...
www.ers.usda.gov/Data/ATUS/Current.htm

VEGETABLE-SHOP

   Plus I only have to vegetable shop every two weeks instead of twice
a week.
chowhound.chow.com/topics/479824

   I stood with a longtime friend, Tom Richardson, who lives at Sky
Valley, and asked him how often he vegetable shopped at Osage's.
www.onlineathens.com/stories/091708/liv_333127372.shtml

TOY-SHOP

   They were happy the lower-than-normal gas prices, which are
averaging about $1.96 in Central Ohio, have allowed them the luxury to
toy shop.
www.lancastereaglegazette.com/article/20081116/NEWS01/811160307

   Toys have changed over the years and the assortment can be
astounding, particularly to those who haven’t toy-shopped in awhile.
lakecharles.bbb.org/WWWRoot/SitePage.aspx?
site=107&id=a9d5facf-8d95-4794-b575-d070a2704151&art=666

MOMMY-SHOP [by adoptive children, searching for new mommies]

   I can’t help but think that if she felt more secure and was truly
attached that she would not have the need to Mommy shop.
adoptive-parenting.adoptionblogs.com/weblogs/mommy-shopping

(3) BABY-SHOP

   but when i am up to it and i have the money i prefer to baby shop
online and not ...
community.babycenter.com/post/a1658875/do_you_like_shopping_for_
baby_products

   I havent baby shopped in a long time, and to do it for the church
was even more gratifying.
hopefulhousewife.com/

KID-SHOP

   I swore I wasn’t going to kid shop on my night of freedom, but the
50-percent-off sale at Children’s Place pulled me like the undertow in
the ocean.
bitchymommyblog.wordpress.com/tag/shopping/

   then kid-shopped at Old Navy and got my niece's 20% discount ...
thegrind.aimoo.com/TopicID-31545/ForumID-25603/Option-Next/
GoToTopic.html

FAMILY-SHOP

   Pick up a few extra papers if family members are known to steal
your ads (yes, it happens) or if you plan to family shop ...
www.associatedcontent.com/article/1028986/successful_black_friday_shopping_starts.html