Most Notable Quotations of 2008

Robert Berman berman at UCLALUMNI.NET
Fri Dec 5 03:57:43 UTC 2008

Hello, Fred.

Thanks for the opportunity.  My choices are below, with ranking.

Bob Berman
Los Angeles
----------
MY CHOICES & RANKINGS
of your list.

1•  For the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country
because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback
Michelle Obama

2•  It's not surprising, then, that they get bitter, they cling to guns
or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or
anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to capture
their frustrations.
Barack Obama

3•  As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United
States of America, where -- where do they go?  It's Alaska.  It's just
right over the border.
Sarah Palin

4•  Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this
President are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and
many not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency.
Hank Paulson

5•  It's not based on any particular data point, we just wanted to
choose a really large number.
Treasury spokeswoman to Forbes.com, explaining how the $700 million
number was chosen for the initial bailout

6•  [Response when asked to name a single newspaper or magazine she
reads:]  All of 'em, any of 'em that have been in front of me over all
these years.
Sarah Palin, Katie Couric CBS News interview, Oct. 1, 2008

7•  What's the difference between a pitbull and a hockey mom?  Lipstick.
Sarah Palin

8•  I've never been a part of a lie [THIS WAS SPELLED "tie" in your
request].  I never even knew that that was in the rule book.
Donovan McNabb

9•  I think the Straight Talk Express just lost a wheel.
Barack Obama

----------------------------
----------------------------
MY CHOICES FOR OTHER QUOTES:
The following are all from ALL GREAT QUOTES at
http://www.allgreatquotes.com/quotes_of_the_week_2008.shtml

"The financial crisis is nothing compared with the environmental
crisis." -- Jean-Christophe Vie, of the International Union for the
Conservation of Nature, on a new report that 25% of the world's mammals
face extinction.

"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place
where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our
founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our
democracy, tonight is your answer." -- Barack Obama, in victory speech
in US presidential election in home state of Chicago, November 4, 2008.
Quotes of the Week - November 17, 2008:

"I have signed this agreement because my belief in Zimbabwe and its
peoples runs deeper than the scars I bear from the struggle ... and
because my hope for the future is greater than the grief for the
needless suffering of the past years. We deserve a better life; a life
without fear, hunger, poverty and oppression." -- Morgan Tsvangirai,
the incoming Prime Minister of Zimbabwe.

"For the pain, suffering and hurt of these stolen generations, their
descendants and for their families left behind, we say sorry. To the
mothers and the fathers, the brothers and the sisters, for the breaking
up of families and communities, we say sorry. And for the indignity and
degradation thus inflicted on a proud people and a proud culture, we
say sorry." -- Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd apologises for the
past mistreatment of Aborigines.

"I don't know if I will die of happiness." -- Sarah Obama, celebrating
her grandson's victory in the US presidential election, from her home
in the village of Kogelo, Kenya.

"It will never work with all those Huns, wops and dagos." -- Britain's
Queen Mother on the EU, quoted by BBC man Edward Stourton in his book
'It's a PC World'.

"Our preference would be to get a shelter dog, but, obviously, a lot of
shelter dogs are mutts like me." -- Barack Obama, on choosing a dog for
his children as they go into the White House.

"We had never heard of her. We had to look her up in Wikipedia" --
Spokesman for Woolworths stores in UK, who were forced to withdraw a
children's bed named "Lolita" after mothers objected to it.