Most Notable Quotations of 2008

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Dec 5 04:18:14 UTC 2008

At 7:57 PM -0800 12/4/08, Robert Berman wrote:

>8*  I've never been a part of a lie [THIS WAS SPELLED "tie" in your
>request].  I never even knew that that was in the rule book.
>Donovan McNabb

Am I missing something?  McNabb said "tie" because he was talking
about ties, i.e. NFL games that are still tied after the 15-minute
overtime.  The quarterback of one of the two teams involved in such a
game between the Eagles and Bengals famously admitted he didn't know
that such games are officially ties, if they occur during the regular
season and not the playoffs.  Where do lies come in?

LH