ADS-L Digest - 3 Dec 2008 to 4 Dec 2008 (#2008-339) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Dec 8 15:59:12 UTC 2008

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

The emoluments clause says (loosely) that a member of the Congress
cannot move to a job whose pay has increased while they were in the
Congress, at least during the period of their term.  The pay of the
Secretary of State increased while Hillary was a senator, therefore she
is constitutionally ineligible for the job.

Emoluments Clause of Article I, section 6 provides "No Senator or
Representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be
appointed to any civil Office under the Authority of the United States,
which shall have been created, or the Emoluments whereof shall have been
encreased during such time."

See:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2008_11_23-2008_11_29.shtml#122754891
0