"conceive (of)"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 9 18:26:52 UTC 2008

And then there's "approve (of)? That's another one with people appear
to have different intuitions or different perceptions as to what
constitutes the "correct" form in a variety of contexts..

For example, the common, if not standard, political-ad tag line:

"I'm John Doe and I _approve_ this message"

Should be, IMO:

"... _approve of_ this message."

OTOH, I've just flashed on the possibility that I've been mishearing
this bromide and it is actually:

"I'm John Doe and I _approved_ this message."

In that case, I have only the very minor quibble that *perhaps* the
line would be "better" in the form:

"... I _have approved_ this message."

Nevertheless, I still find that the form:

"... _(have) approved of_ this image"

is, somewhat like Jesus, still all right with me. However, the
"of"-less version of either the Perfect or the Present Perfect won't
send me fleeing from the room in tears, in any case.

But, at this point in time, the development of English seems to be
trending toward the loss of the Present Perfect in favor of the
Perfect, whereas German and the Romance languages appear to have a
preference for the Present Perfect-equivalent, to the detriment of the
Perfect.

But that's merely the impression that I've gotten from casual reading.
I leave the ultimate decision to those with greater expertise.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain