four-footed males, females, and children

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 9 23:33:36 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, people who had cattle as well as hat said, "a / one
head of beef cattle." But this was already dying out among those
unconcerned with this particular form of agribusiness at least as far
back as 1972. Calvert Watkins was unable to persuade most members of
his Intro Hittitie class at the LSA Summer Institute at UNC that there
was any reason to translate a recurring collocation of graphs as, e.g.
"ten head of cattle" as opposed to the simpler and at least as
transparent "ten cattle." Would one say, "ten head of sheep"? Of
course. Hence, it would be incorrect to say, "ten sheep." Not at all.
The defense rests.

Remember when milk trucks were drawn by horses wearing rubber shoes,
so as not to annoy the still-sleeping 'hood with the clip-clop of
regular shoes? When the milkman got out of the truck with a case of
deliveries, the horse fired itself up and strode to the next stop.
After making his last delivery, the milkman merely walked to the curb,
where his "carriage" awaited him, left the empty case, and picked up a
full one.

Somehow, motor-driven trucks were never able to learn to do this,
forcing the milkman to walk half a block or so back to dead machinery.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain