Most Notable Quotations of 2008

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Wed Dec 10 15:04:57 UTC 2008

Grant is an expert, so he needs to proceed cautiously.  I'm under no such constraint.

Prediction:  It does not have legs.  It will be frequently quoted, but the expletives prevent it's being quoted in full, and that will hamper its longevity.   Besides, I don't think Blagojevich is all that important.  Yes, I know he's the governor, but still, he's just not that important.

G.

________________________________

Original message from Grant Barrett,  Wed 12/10/2008 7:18 AM:

On Dec 10, 2008, at 07:53, Shapiro, Fred wrote:

> I need a quick read on whether this one is likely to have legs.  Any
> opinions?  Grant, what is your judgment as an authority on political
> languae?

I long since stopped trying to make serious prognostications about
language. I'm the guy who thought "podcast" was a loser.

What I do know is that "of the year" lists tend to be over-colored by
things happening at the end of the year, so it's best to look at late-
occurring entries with more skepticism than entries from, say, February.

I say wait ten years and let's see.

Grant Barrett
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org