substitution of X with Y

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Thu Dec 11 15:26:25 UTC 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 9:30 AM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: substitution of X with Y
>
> ... Though I grew up with only "substitute X for Y," I knew that
> German
> and other languages had something like "substitute Y with X," which
> hung me up when I first came across it, since it required "reverse
> interpretation," so to speak. Then, I started to see something similar
> in English (in BrE first?), where, IMO at the time, it was an even
> worse problem, since it really interferes with my automatic
> understanding of English.

encroached "substitute" -- "substitute OLD with/by NEW" -- has been
around for quite some time, and i don't think it's particularly
british.  its virtue, as i explained in one of my old postings, is
that it puts OLD before NEW (yes, i know, "replace OLD with/by NEW"
also does this).  if you attend to the prepositions, the meanings are
clear.

a true reversal occurs in "substitute OLD for NEW" -- reversed
"substitute" -- which is both recently innovated and originally
british (though it's been spreading to the u.s.).  you'd think that
this usage would be drastically confusing, but in context the
intentions of the speaker or writer are almost always clear.  (in
fact, people detect occurrences of reversed "substitute" by divining
the intentions of the speaker or writer and then realizing that the
syntactic argumen'ts are, from their point of view, in the wrong order.)

arnold