TWAIN QUOTE

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 11 15:34:08 UTC 2008

In The Yale Book of Quotations I cite Mark Twain's 1890-91 notebook for this.  Thanks for finding earlier evidence!

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jonathan Lighter [wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:22 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: honest politicians

The earliest I've seen of this immortal dictum, usu. attributed to Simon Cameron but sometimes (though not lately) to Thomas B. Reed. Who was truly responsible?

1884 _Kansas City Eve. Star_ (Dec. 10) 2: According to a distinguished authority, an honest politician is one who, when he is once bought, stays bought.

JL